What is Portability?

  • Portability is renting a dwelling unit with Section 8 Voucher assistance outside the jurisdiction of the initial Housing Authority where you received your voucher.
  • Housing Choice Vouchers are accepted by cities across the country, giving families real choice about where they live. In the Housing Choice Voucher Program the rental assistance is “portable,” which means, it “moves” with you.
  • Portability allows you to move with continued assistance to any housing authority in the country that has a Housing Choice voucher program, regardless of whether the receiving Housing Authority bills or absorbs the cost.

How does Portability Work?

  • If you intend to move to another jurisdiction, outside Township of Edison, you must notify your landlord and EHA in writing (30-60days notice, please refer to your lease)when you want to move using the Portability Feature.
  • If you decide after your annual recertification that you want to port-out, please contact us at 908 561-8489 and request to speak with the portability specialist.
  • It is also necessary that you contact the housing authority where you plan to move because each HA has its own rules, regulations and deadlines.
  • Obtain the contact information so that your case information is properly transferred.

Porting to EHA

  • Contact your current housing authority to determine if you are eligible to transfer.
  • Mail Information: Edison Housing Authority, 14 Rev. Samuel Carpenter Blvd, Edison, NJ 08820 Attn: Portability Department.

Portability Request Form

Business Hours

Monday – Friday

8:30am – 4:30pm

Contact Us

Edison Housing Authority

Robert E. Holmes Gardens
14 Rev. Samuel Carpenter Blvd
Edison, NJ 08820
Tel: 908-561-2525
Fax: 908-561-7517